Down-under this week we can sow seeds for optimum growth of fruits and flowers,
Best days for fruits and flowers are said to be
- Saturday 17th Nov and Sunday 18th,
- and again from the afternoon of Wednesday 21st through Thursday 22nd November 2018 [here in New Zealand].
Before the full moon on Friday 23rd November 2018.
The ground is warm! hooray! It’s dried out heaps so keep checking soil is moist and water as required.
Still time to plant more
- tomatoes – hopefully the ground is warm enough for them to grow well outside where you are. Maybe seedlings would be better to plant now?
- pumpkins/squashes/zucchini [courgettes]/cucumbers/melons/gourds – if you have lots of space, compost and warmth
- legumes – such as beans
- Flowers – check requirements – there are so many options – find which ones you like which are good to sow now.
This week the moon is growing towards full and the days listed are when many aspects line up to give optimum good germination for strong seedlings if the outside climate is provided for their needs.
May the weather support growing great plants!
For more ideas about what to sow and when in NZ, have a look at http://gardenate.com
For more about planting by the moon phases,
If you like experiments about when to plant for best results, a great one is to plant the same seeds in rows right beside each other [so all other conditions are identical], and label the rows with the date of planting. Then sow seeds from 1 packet at weekly intervals, each week in a new row.
This way you can see how the recommendations for best/worst seed sowing outcomes from moon-planting guides work for you. Maybe they do, and maybe they don’t.
I enjoy experimenting with such ideas – and if only I can rescue the rows from the snails and black-birds, I might even get some results to share!
Here’s a post I wrote about planting by the moon phases if you like more information and reflections on it.
Moon planting guides remind me to plant SOMETHING, plan a little, and help me have a continuous supply!