In winter we really enjoy a warm, sustaining porridge containing lots more than just oats!
Here is our Winter Porridge Extraordinaire recipe:
Heather’s way [and below I have given approximate measured amounts if you prefer that way of cooking]
In a medium-sized saucepan, soak overnight
- about a handful rolled oats
- some chia seeds
- some linseed [whole]
- some ground LSA [we grind linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds – about the ratio 4:2:1]
- 3-4x amount of water [filtered preferably]
- if you have extra yogurt, add a dollop too – the acidic environment it creates means more unlocking of nutrients from the oats.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tblspn chia seeds
- 1 tblespn linseed [whole]
- 2 tblspns ground LSA [we grind linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds – about the ratio 4:2:1]
- 1 1/2 cups water [filtered preferably]
- if you have extra yogurt, add a tblspn too – the acidic environment it creates means more unlocking of nutrients from the oats.]
In the morning, place the saucepan on the stove and bring to boil gently. I stir with a flat-bottomed wooden paddle/spoon to keep it from sticking. When it starts to bubble, turn the heat right down to extra-low and simmer gently until cooked.
Add 1-2 tblspns tahini [ground sesame seeds] which will thicken the mix and give it a creamy consistency. Add more water if it is too thick. Stir.
Turn off the heat and leave sit for a few minutes if you have time – the flavors blend and mellow. Re-assess whether it needs more water to thin it or more tahini to thicken it. Adjust as required to be just how you like it.
Some people like adding a sweetener – stewed fruit works for us – apple, peaches, nectarines, apricots are so sweet. Or add some dried fruit to the dry oats and soak over night [sultanas, raisins, currants, dates, etc all give a different flavor and provide variety]
Other additions we sometimes include:
So, to create a winter breakfast energy boost:
- 1 apple – chopped [or other fresh fruit you like]
- Stewed fruit [home grown and preserved plums here]
- Yogurt [or whatever you like instead – kefir/milk/coconut milk/almond milk/etc]
- Add the cooked mixed grains of a delicious porridge.
Optional: serve with a mandarin and/or orange before or after [just because they are so delicious at the moment] and savor!
[PS: Some people like to start the meal with a small glass of water with juice of 1/2 small lemon in it. We like Meyer or Lemonade lemons as they are sweeter than many other lemons.]
[PPS: Apples, oranges and mandarins are from our trees. Orange is just starting. Mandarins nearly finished and so sweet. And amazingly we’re still picking apples from the tree! Crisp and sweet – a real joy]